Don’t you just love it when you can have your cake and eat it too? Those of you who know me, know that I love to make healthy versions of the most decadent treats. Particularly so that I can indulge in more than one… but also because I like knowing that what I’m putting into my body is actually good for it.
I’d been on the hunt to find a delicious, fudgy yet clean version of one of my favourite indulgences – the brownie!
I wanted something fudgy but not too heavy and after a little research and experimenting, I landed on the perfect recipe. Plus, at only 80 calories a pop you can totally have two… or three!
- 1 sweet potato (baked and mashed)
- 2.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 2.5 tbsp natural peanut butter (or any other nut or seed butter)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 2 heaped tbsp cacao
- 1/2 tbsp macca powder (optional)
- 4 drops stevia (or omit and add a second tbsp honey and a little less almond milk)
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or any milk of your choice)
You could also add in a handful of dark chocolate chips or walnuts to these which would be divine!
- Add your coconut oil, peanut butter and honey to a saucepan or microwave safe bowl to melt it
- Remove from the heat and all other wet ingredients (vanilla, stevia, almond milk, sweet potato)
- Mix all dry ingredients in another bowl (flour, cacao, macca powder)
- Add your wet ingredients to the dry and mix. If mixture is too thick, thin out with a little extra almond milk
- Spread in a slice pan
- An optional but highly recommended step is to add an additional two tsp of natural peanut butter to the top of your brownie mix. Run a knife through it to create a swirl.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean
Cut into 15 pieces. Store in the fridge (or freezer like me if you don’t trust yourself)!
Not only do these little squares of joy only contain a measly 79 calories but they have less than 2.2 grams of sugar per serving!
AND if you decide to sub out the Sweet Potato for Pumpkin Puree the calories go down to just 72 per brownie.
Now that’s what I call having your brownie and eating it too..