WHAT'S IN A NAME?
Breaking down our goals and the steps we need to take towards them into small, bite sized chunks.
Making purposeful plans with the power of pen and paper.
ALL the things. Discerning the right few from the vast many tactics that will actually move the needle on your goals.
it's time to get started on executing
your digital marketing more effectively
The ULTIMATE DIGITAL MARKETING STRATEGY INDEX
The exhaustive list of steps you must take to develop a successful digital marketing strategy.
When I began my own journey of ideating what Small Paper Things Strategy would become, getting clear on my values, mission and purpose for existence, I committed myself to documenting and sharing the process. For alongside case studies of clients and business I’ve worked for, documenting this process offers a true behind the scenes look at what an effective digital marketing strategy should look like when building it, not only from the ground up, but from the ground up with NO (or at least, significantly limited) brand equity.
The challenge for SPT, like many of you will also face, is to then, build a brand while setting the foundation of a digital marketing strategy – concurrently.
To make the most of our time together and the limited resources I know you have as a leader, I’m going to give the peek behind the curtain on exactly what steps to take, across ideation, planning, implementation and reporting.
So with that in mind, I’m sharing the full taxonomy of what’s to come, but I’ve not reinvented the wheel here.
These are the exact steps I’ve walked through with countless clients and in working in-house for businesses over the years.
It’s THE exhaustive list of steps you must take to develop a successful digital marketing strategy so in my pursuit to share with you exactly what you need to know to build an incredibly successful digital marketing strategy, end to end, I’ll be implementing my own right alongside you and documenting the entire journey.
I encourage you to “bookmark” this page as I will continue to hyperlink each of the sections to a series of commentary and resources that shed light on each stage of the process (as new resources become available).
Think of it as your ultimate digital marketing strategy index.
You can dip and dive in and out of the areas you feel you need the most help with, or tackle the whole lot in order. That’s completely up to you!
At the very least, I’m committed to updating this page to include the full taxonomy of the value you’ll find in everything across the blog, website, resources and social.
So bookmark this page now and, send it to a friend or colleague who you think may find it helpful (plus, if you find yourself referring to this often, I’d love you to leave me a comment with what the gold is for you)! 1
So here we go. My secret sauce and the building body of insights from my decade of experience in digital marketing.
The winning formula for your digital marketing strategy…
So here it is. The exhaustive list of steps you must take to build your winning digital marketing strategy. As we continue through our journey together, you can refer back to this page to view how every puzzle piece of bite sized knowledge I share, works together to achieve success in digital.
Think of it as your ultimate digital marketing index and let it guide you as you search for the answers on the topics you need to learn more about.
Setting the strategy first:
- Values, mission, vision, purpose workbook)
- “Muse” persona building (free worksheet)
- Customer segmentation (digital targeting personas)
- Customer journey mapping
Understanding the channels & how they relate to the path to purchase:
- The digital marketing methodology: aligning the right tactics to my framework to move behaviour (from undecided to decided)
- Funnel Building: How digital marketing channels work together in the sales funnel to drive behaviour from undecided to decided (from cool, to warm, to hot, to converted)
- The opportunities available in each channel (ultimate channel tactic glossary)
- Content Marketing: The two ways to win the content marketing game, setting foundational content
- Digital advertising – Facebook & Instagram Digital Advertising – Google CPC, GDN
- Email marketing strategies
- Outreach & influencer marketing
Risk & opportunity analysis:
- The MVP principle to your digital marketing growth strategy. Triangle of efficiencies, scaling efficiently to afford you the time and resources to continue growth
- Ownership and risk: structuring your digital marketing portfolio for sustained returns, affording you the time and resources to scale (owned, rented, earned)
- Effective objective setting & digital marketing KPI’s (the metrics you should be measuring)
Understanding the opportunity:
- Auditing your existing assets (identify low hanging fruit, cull or optimise underperforming initiatives)
- Competitor impact mapping
Building an ecosystem:
- Clever creation tactics
- Hacking workflows for increased efficiencies: outsourcing, repurposing, automations
- The ultimate flight map for repurposing, recycling and optimising
Measuring and learning:
- The balance of new creation vs. optimisation and how it should change over time
- Building dashboards that help you look at the RIGHT DATA to make ongoing strategic decisions for your digital marketing and your business