Everyone knows that the best part of a muffin is the top – so why do we continue to bake the entire thing? Not me! I love my crispy tops so recently chose to whip up a batch of Honey Oat Muffin Tops.
These babies come in at 91 calories each and are the perfect pre-workout snack. The below recipe makes 15 muffin tops.
- 1 cup oats (blended to make oat flour)
- 3/4 cup oats (not blended)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or any milk of your choice)
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- handful of dark chocolate chips
- Blend 1 cup of oats and add to a bowl with the remaining unblended oats.
- Mix through baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix peanut butter, egg, honey, almond milk and vanilla essence until mixed together.
- Add your wet ingredients to the dry and mix.
- Mix through half of the dark chocolate chips (reserving half to sprinkle over the top of the cookies).
- Allow mix to sit for 2 minutes so the oats absorb up the liquid.
- Spoon out 1 tbsp of the mixture on a baking sheet and top with remaining dark chocolate chips.
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown.
These muffin tops are the perfect breakfast cookie if you need to grab and go (just be sure to grab three of them so you’re eating enough calories)!
While these are still very much a treat, the nutrition still stacks up well (thank you oat flour)!